InDashPC.org Forum Index InDashPC.org
In Dash Car PC forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VW, AUDI, BMW stock stereo USB adapter for PC
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: VW, AUDI, BMW stock stereo USB adapter for PC Reply with quote

Guys,
Here is the unit I've been working on recenty: USB adapter for VW, AUDI, SEAT, Rover and BMW.

What is it ?
USB adapter allows PC to "understand" commands sent by the stock headunit from all AUDI, VW, SEAT, Rover, BMW (Exclamation models 1997+ Exclamation)

Why ?
In many cases PC can replace CD Changer with many more functions. Like playing MP3, OGG, video or even voice guided GPS on a long road. Why bother with very limited CD Changer if you can afford PC for almost the same price ? Get more for less !
It will not require changing your car's dashboard. Not even a bit !
You can place PC anywhere you want and "talk" to it from the very ergonomic and slick headunit keybord.

Can I see the demo ?
See the demo movie on my test bench (3Mb).

Can WinAmp or any other frontend use it ?
WinAmp and PyCar will be able to communicate to headunits, send and read commands from it.
Here is the source for the library. It has simple interface and can be compiled under VC6. The lib file included.
WinAmp plugin source will be available later.

Which HU it supports ?
I'll name car models: VW, BMW, AUDI, SEAT
All the stock headunits for up to 2005 should be compatible. I need beta testers on different car makes to make sure it works properly.

How ?
3 steps only:
1. Place laptop PC or car PC anywhere in a car. Secure and power it.
2. Attach the adapter to your stock headunit (or CD changer cable in the trunk) and PC. All original harness is included !
3. Run the PC and get the sound from it on your speakers instantly after you switch you HU in CD changer mode !

Can it serve as a AUX adapter ?
Yes it can. You can connect your favourite MP3 player directly to your car's HU !

What else ?
There are unlimited capabilities with your PC and USB adapter. Just name a few:
1. Set your disk buttons on HU to represent playlists. Get unlimited number of playlists and songs !
2. Set button for disk 6 to switch to a video mode. Get your car video !
3. Set button for disk 5 to switch over to a voice guidance if your PC has a microphone and appropriate navigation software. Get guided right now !
4. Set button for disk 4 to switch to XM radio and navigate through it by selecting tracks. Get radio digitalized !

What it look like ?

How to get it ?
Here is the link

Hope you'll like it. More fun stuff on its way !
Dmitry/

Last edited by jbors on Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:09 pm; edited 6 times in total
it_shua

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Silly Question...

I have a VW 2003 Passat

Can I be of assistance Very Happy
K_97_328IS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Beta Test Candidate Reply with quote

I would be happy to be a beta tester.
I have a 97 328IS BMW that I am currently looking to install a carputer in.

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

K_97_328IS
CyberClyde

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in testing in a 2003 MINI Cooper. Have you made any progress on the trunk connector?
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on it now. You can help if you post the pic of the CDC harness in the trunk of your Mini.
nowinters

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Wow. Reply with quote

That looks awesome! I'm psyched. Not sure if you're still looking for testers or not, but I have a B5 S4 that I've been toying with the idea of putting a linux box of some sort in. Your adapter would be ideal, because the thought of ever having to replace the bose symphony system that came in the car gives me a headache, haha. I can think of better ways to spend a weekend. If you are interested in more testers, please let me know. If the unit is ready and available somewhere that I missed, please let me know that too so I can buy one Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am looking for a most universal way to play MP3 files in my MDX (2005) and supposedly there is a M-Bus interface (CDC) on its HU (Alpine). Do you have adapter/harness available to connect a laptop (WinXP)?

Thank you in advance,

jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MBus adapters are still in beta testing so you can get it and return if that does not work for you.
Sorry do not have harness for that car yet. You may need to buy a harness kit from instaldr or some other companies that sells things like this. I can send you a link.
Let me know if you have more questions.
528isportdsp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: BMW 528 i with DSP Reply with quote

If you are still looking for testers, I have '98 BMW 528i with standard headunit, cassette deck, 6-cd changer in the trunk, Digital Sound Processing (DSP), also I have a '97 BMW 328is, with standard HU, cassette in dash and 6-CD changer in the trunk, no DSP. Everything factory intact. you can get in touch with via email bmw@midnightstar.com
Thank you, Fariz
crispysaturn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 97 Bmw 540i, and would be interested in your unit. I would like to be a tester, but will pay for it if you found somone already.
Im putting a pc togeather in the next few weeks, so i would really need it soon.

Please let me know on your progress with this and if they can be ordered or what not.

email me at crispysaturn@gmail.com

thanks
pj
Avari

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1997 Audi A4 w/ Delta CC headunit and bose
Carl.tanner@gmail.com
bolek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 2001 540i, I'm in the process of ordering a VIA mini-ITX motherboard for my car, I would love to test your unit.

send me an email to adrian.bienkowski@sympatico.ca
The Great Gatsby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2005 A3 with the Concert radio HU. Planning to install a car computer to provide MP3 play-back, phone integration and navigation.

This tools is what I have been looking for. Are you still looking for beta-testers and/or how can I order the converter.

rooster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Volunteer for Beta-testing Reply with quote

Hi, this looks great - please consider me as a tester for this product.

I have a 2003 Skoda Octavia VRs, and currently use a laptop connected to touchscreen monitor as my car PC. I've also got some other bits on order, and hope to have a built-in solution pretty soon, incorporating GPS nav, phone integration, MP3 / video playback and on-board diagnostics.

I have a std Skoda Head Unit with CD changer.

Please let me know if I can be of help.

Mark.
pantoine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am buying a 1995 Volvo 850 which uses mbus, and I have the required 8-pin mini-din pinout for making a harness.

Would be very interested to test on the Volvo and provide detailed documentation howto for other Volvo owners.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    InDashPC.org Forum Index -> Car integration All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: