InDashPC.org Forum Index InDashPC.org
In Dash Car PC forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding metadata to mp3 files?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drzeus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Adding metadata to mp3 files? Reply with quote

I've got a bunch of mp3 files that were ripped off my CDs by software that didn't add artist/album metadata. That information is encoded in the file path, though, and I'd like to insert it into the metadata so that programs like Musicmatch can display them nicely.

My first thought on how to do this is to use PyMedia to decode a file, then recode it back in the same format (mp3) but with the metadata added. (The metadata I can parse from the file path easily.)

I have a couple of questions before I embark on this, though:

1) Is there a better way to do this?
2) Will decode/encode reduce the sound quality? Is mp3 a lossy compression format?

Thanks,
-Dr. Z
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm,
PyMedia does not support demuxing separately at the moment. There is a use case for having it though.
Right I would not recommend decode/encode as it will degrade sound quality. Not sure how much but it will.
I will have it in a bin list for PyMedia release 1.3.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    InDashPC.org Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: