InDashPC.org Forum Index InDashPC.org
In Dash Car PC forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just started my project, very very very confused

View previous topic :: View next topic  
itsdave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Just started my project, very very very confused Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I live in a pretty crappy neighborhood where cars get broken into all the time. About 3 days ago my brand new head unit was robbed out of my car. So i decided that the only way im gonna be able to enjoy good sound in my car is to gut my delco pontiac headunit (circa '94) and rewire it to work as a serial interface plus screen to a car pc that will be hidden far far away. I picked up a few things that I know ill need (an amp some wiring stuff, car power supply)

Ive tried browsing around but i am really overwhelemed as to what i need and where i can start. Im a decently skilled computer user more with windows and os x but i think ill need linux to get this off the ground.

Can anyone tell me where i can get started with setting up car pc software that will play mp3s off of my ipod, do sirius, and output to probably an alphanumeric display.

I found the diagram for an rs232 interface that can hand 8 buttons and output to a hitachi 44780 display.

I know this sounds like a completely mess but i would really appreciate any direction as to how or where i can get the info / software to make, what to me is a pipe dream of project a reality.

Thanks in advance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    InDashPC.org Forum Index -> Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: