InDashPC.org Forum Index InDashPC.org
In Dash Car PC forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB Adapter issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BinaryJay
Getting tough

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbors wrote:
On some older units this firmware may try to update itself when HEX file is left on a stick.
We will fix it later. But for now just delete the HEX file from the stick.

Maybe you misunderstood. I don't use the same stick to update firmware as I do to play music, I keep them separate so I don't have an issue with the firmware updating over and over again.

What my problem was that the led on the stick is supposed to stop blinking when firmware update is complete as per instructions but with this newest firmware it never stops blinking. Then, I have a hard time determining if the firmware update was successful as I don't know what I should be seeing when no stick is inserted any more. Before it used track number to indicate build number but on V35 I believe it already maxed out to 99.

So, when no stick is inserted can you let me know how I can verify that I got V38 installed?
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I understood. The older box you have may flash indefinitely if you leave the stick with firmware attached. So you need to use your stick _without_ firmware to play Smile
BinaryJay
Getting tough

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbors wrote:
Yes I understood. The older box you have may flash indefinitely if you leave the stick with firmware attached. So you need to use your stick _without_ firmware to play Smile

On previous firmware updates that I've done, the USB stick flashes for a couple of seconds and then it stops. That's no longer the case? If it was hardware related (old box?) wouldn't it have been doing the same thing on previous updates? Maybe it's just the particular stick I tried to use to flash, I'm not sure.

What track number should be displayed with no stick inserted that indicates the build number now after V38? I still don't know how to verify if the firmware update succeeded or if I'm still on an older version.
eml

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutchie wrote:
eml wrote:
anyone of you guys who have NAV now able to work with the GROM USB without the major hassles (car freaking out, device hanging, etc.)?

I have the GROM installed for some weeks now in my 2002 Lexus GS300 with NAV.

oops. sorry, was asking about BMWs (E46 in particular) with NAV.
BinaryJay
Getting tough

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you upgrading to V38, I verified with support that with no stick connected it should (and does in my case) display Track #2. I guess they ran out of track numbers and had to roll back to the beginning.

I have not used the car enough times to comment on whether or not the startup issues have improved but I will be testing and re-testing all of my USB sticks as I go and will continue to post if any problems persist.

Hopefully the 38th time is the charm.
BinaryJay
Getting tough

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With V38 of the firmware, a few start-ups everything was fine but tonight I drove somewhere. Parked. Left the car parked for about an hour, and returned to the car and started it and the GROM device (CD2) was completely missing and not playing anything and I could not switch to CD2 on my stereo. The stereo started with the car "turned off" (saying Audio Off) and I had to "turn it back on" (Audio On) to get any music, and it defaulted back to the radio.

The grom didn't work again until I shut the car off and started it again.

It did this occasionally (exact symptoms) before with the older firmwares, so it seems that the issues have not been solved with firmware V38. It is very frustrating. Neutral
winampdevil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: same procedure as last time... Reply with quote

v38 has 834 changes? from v1?
same thing in my avensis: start: ok, play: ok, title display: crash, discname display: crash

sometimes i think: why i haven't burn the money...
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatelly some Toyota stereos out there are buggy.
When they try to display text they crash.
We cannot find such stereos yet as we cannot find the pattern.
winampdevil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbors wrote:
Unfortunatelly some Toyota stereos out there are buggy.

Sorry, but i can't believe that.
The indash-player can display all of the data.
Also the usb-IF displays Disc-Title (often), when Disc-Number equal or greater 10. If Disc-Number 9 or smaller -> crash.

But i would help you; you know, i can listen to the avc-lan with the sniffer, i've sent you lots of data in the past.

Greets
Frank
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would no help. This is internal Toyota firmware logic which leads to crash. We do not do anything different on those stereos compare to all other stereos it works fine on.
Once we can find the stereo we will explore if anything we can do.
BinaryJay
Getting tough

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too early to tell, but so far my tests with the 834 box in my 06 Lexus GS are not bad. I haven't suffered from the cranking problem with the grom unit disappearing from the device list and shutting audio off again --- yet. But I've said this before and then the next day after I say it, it crashes hard ... hopefully I'm not jinxing myself.

I did cause it to freeze and not play anything once by quickly navigating through many discs... after jumping a bunch of discs quickly (without letting it catch up and start playing between disc changes) it just stopped playing anything. I was able to bring it back to life I believe by switching devices by pressing the mode button on the wheel to go through the others (radio, cd changer, etc.) and then back to grom.
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We fixed another small issue that may cause the unit to be stuck:
http://gromaudio.com/downloads/firmware/gromusb2_toy_39.hex
BinaryJay
Getting tough

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbors wrote:
We fixed another small issue that may cause the unit to be stuck:
http://gromaudio.com/downloads/firmware/gromusb2_toy_39.hex

Thanks for the heads up guys. It's good to know that although the fix seems to have been slow coming, that you are still working on the problem.

Can you elaborate more on what was changed in 39, that in previous firmwares was causing it to get stuck? I'm just very curious what the underlying issues you've identified are.

So far the only times the 834 box has got stuck was when I was switching discs rapidly... and one time after I installed when I cranked it with a particular Sandisk Contour drive, though I think it may have just switched out of USB mode by itself for some reason and at the time I didn't think to try changing the mode and being frustrated with myself and not thinking went straight to disconnecting it from the harness.

Any details about what's new in 39 would be appreciated, as I'd like to know before flashing it seeing as how so far things have been much better for me already.
winampdevil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, just installed v39 to grom-usb attached at my Toyota - W58832 car stereo.

that happens:
grom-unit bricked the usb-stick during flash (what the hell..., this was the 2nd stick within 6 months),
2nd try: unit dead.... disconnect from harness (screwed and screwed ...), reconnect - ok, works, should also have new firmware (display a "3" at track display)

Test:
disc change 1up -> grom changed 2 discs up ... ???
change 1 down -> grom changed 1 disc down - ok
change 1 up -> now grom changed 1 disc up - ok
plays stable, (didn't the test with very fast switching tracks and discs)

my preferred test -> disc & trackname: wondering... it seems to work... no crash at the first disc / 1st track... (ok, crashed later, at the 4th title)

the lesson is clear:
it works stable with no text, but text works better than before.
discname/trackname will not displayed (or read) if disc was changed.

hope for a new firmware (and a new stick)
BinaryJay
Getting tough

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI. Probably reoccurred once again so far with the car starting and the GROM (834 with V39) not being recognized and being unavailable for selection from the audio display.

This was after parking the car for maybe 15 minutes or so, and then returning and starting it again. It seems like it's a rarer occurrence now but it's not completely fixed yet. Kind of disappointing because I thought it was fixed plus I had the expense of sending the "defective" unit back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    InDashPC.org Forum Index -> Car integration All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: