InDashPC.org Forum Index InDashPC.org
In Dash Car PC forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB Adapter issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vishnu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BinaryJay, try version 19 of software.
BinaryJay
Getting tough

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vishnu wrote:
BinaryJay, try version 19 of software.

I tried... but it's difficult to tell if it's done anything. Now when I view the track info with no usb connected, it shows the same track information (track number, song text) that was playing while the usb was connected -- not the build number.

It doesn't seem that the startup issue changed. It seems to start up again if I immediately stop and start the car, but if I leave it for more than a few moments and then start the car again it seems it get stuck and doesn't play just as before.

Frustrating.
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to follow FAQ:
http://gromaudio.com/support/usb-faq.html
Disconnect GROM box. Insert stick with firmware and reconnect the box.
BinaryJay
Getting tough

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbors wrote:
You need to follow FAQ:
http://gromaudio.com/support/usb-faq.html
Disconnect GROM box. Insert stick with firmware and reconnect the box.

What, you need to tear apart the car to get to the GROM box and disconnect the harness just to upgrade the firmware? That's a little inconvenient, isn't it?

If I'm going to tear the car apart again, I had better be sure that the firmware will fix the problem.

This page doesn't say anything about having to disconnect the grom box from the harness to upgrade firmware, just place firmware on USB and connect to the device.

http://gromaudio.com/software.html

I followed that advice before and it just bricked the device and I was already forced to disconnect the harness to get the device to work again and now I'm back to the version 25 and it still does not start with the car and I'm becoming very frustrated.

Support told me to use version 25 to fix my problem, obviously this doesn't work... I hope you guys can do something to fix this for me. What should I do next? I'm afraid to experiment with version 19 as was suggested again in fear that I will have to tear open the car yet again when version 25 is supposed to specifically fix this problem.

I assume I had it at version 19 before because the track number had stopped displaying the build number, unless the build number for version 19 is "1" because it would always just display disc 1, track 1 before. After I disconnected, and then reconnected and applied a usb with version 25 firmware it started showing track 45 again... so perhaps using version 19 does nothing to solve my problem anyway as I have never been able to start the car and have the device work without disconnecting the usb, connecting again, and then cycling the stereo on and off.

Guys, help!!! Tell me you've got a firmware, even an experimental one that I can try to resolve this with.
Vishnu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BinaryJay, do not cry Very Happy I have collection of grom firmware. From v.10 to v.20. You can try to use it.

When you turn the car on the AVC-LAN is a lot of traffic. And additional devices do not have time to register. Therefore, the device on different machines can work differently.

GromAudio1620.zip
 Description:
Grom firmware v.16 - v.20

Download
 Filename:  GromAudio1620.zip
 Filesize:  230.87 KB
 Downloaded:  1606 Time(s)

GromAudio1015.zip
 Description:
Grom firmware v.10 - v.15

Download
 Filename:  GromAudio1015.zip
 Filesize:  201.81 KB
 Downloaded:  1577 Time(s)

BinaryJay
Getting tough

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *still* have not heard back from GROM support about this.

Interestingly, I found that a 16gb Sony USB stick that I put in starts up with the car every time over the last week or so. I have not disconnected it in fear that disconnecting it or changing the content of the drive will cause it to screw up again. I am not sure if it's the USB stick that grom sent me that has the problem or if somehow I just got lucky.

In any case, I have sent several emails to GROM support and have not heard back from them in a couple of weeks and it's getting on my nerves that I feel I'm being ignored.
BinaryJay
Getting tough

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, Toyota Version 29 seemed promising at first but now it seems even worse in this regard than version 25. The stick I had working most of the time with 25 now doesn't work a lot of the time.

Waiting to see what they come up with in the near future as far as another revision before I risk flashing it back to 25 again. I'm getting tired of flashing the firmwares on this thing. Not happy so far...
eml

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone of you guys who have NAV now able to work with the GROM USB without the major hassles (car freaking out, device hanging, etc.)? one year on and no news nor confirmation on whether things have been fixed.
Geezer530i

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

I received F/W version 31 from Alberto at GROM Audio and changed to a Sandisk 2G thumb drive and, knock on wood, the start up problem SEEMS to be rectified. I will continue testing and report any problems I see.

For now, the GROM unit is working swimmingly.
eml

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geezer530i wrote:
UPDATE:

I received F/W version 31 from Alberto at GROM Audio and changed to a Sandisk 2G thumb drive and, knock on wood, the start up problem SEEMS to be rectified. I will continue testing and report any problems I see.

For now, the GROM unit is working swimmingly.

do you have NAV?
Dutchie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eml wrote:
anyone of you guys who have NAV now able to work with the GROM USB without the major hassles (car freaking out, device hanging, etc.)?

I have the GROM installed for some weeks now in my 2002 Lexus GS300 with NAV.
Having simular problems as everybody else but NAV is working like before.
When using a Kingston Traveller 4GB stick everything works as it should be.

Other sticks I tried (TDK, Sandisk) do not start when cranking the car. Even a new (Generation II) Kingston Traveller 8GB will not work... Crying or Very sad

Still hoping on a final solution from GROM though. All these sticks work in all other devices so why not in the GROM? It can't be that difficult.

BinaryJay
Getting tough

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutchie wrote:
eml wrote:
anyone of you guys who have NAV now able to work with the GROM USB without the major hassles (car freaking out, device hanging, etc.)?

I have the GROM installed for some weeks now in my 2002 Lexus GS300 with NAV.
Having simular problems as everybody else but NAV is working like before.
When using a Kingston Traveller 4GB stick everything works as it should be.

Other sticks I tried (TDK, Sandisk) do not start when cranking the car. Even a new (Generation II) Kingston Traveller 8GB will not work... Crying or Very sad

Still hoping on a final solution from GROM though. All these sticks work in all other devices so why not in the GROM? It can't be that difficult.

Yes, same thing on my 2006 GS. I find that different sticks behave all sorts of ways differently with startup. I have tried MANY and the only one that works half decently most of the time is a Sandisk Cruzer Titanium 4GB so far.

I bought a Sandisk Extreme Contour 8GB but the first time I put it in, it bricked the GROM completely and it would no longer play anything from any USB until I physically took the car apart for the Nth time and disconnected the GROM physically and now I'm afraid to try it again. I think it may be because I duplicated exactly the contents from the other Sandisk and the unit may have freaked out because of that somehow but I'm gunshy now.
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just fixed another small thing that can cause this behavior.
Try the new version and let me know:
http://gromaudio.com/downloads/firmware/gromusb2_toy_38.hex
BinaryJay
Getting tough

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbors wrote:
We just fixed another small thing that can cause this behavior.
Try the new version and let me know:
http://gromaudio.com/downloads/firmware/gromusb2_toy_38.hex

I attempted to upgrade but I cannot tell if it succeeded? I put the gromusb2.hex as the only file on a USB key. Started ignition, inserted stick, and the stick blinked... and continued to blink indefinitely. I allowed a couple of minutes before disconnecting but the led on the stick never stopped blinking.

I attempted it twice.

I recall before that I could see the track number as some high number indicating the version but it didn't seem to show that any more... I think either it showed the track number from the last file played or perhaps it showed track 02? I wish I paid more attention.

How can I tell if the update applied successfully? I was worried that the unit was going to be bricked yet again but it continued to work after I restarted the ignition so... maybe it did upgrade and is ok.
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On some older units this firmware may try to update itself when HEX file is left on a stick.
We will fix it later. But for now just delete the HEX file from the stick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    InDashPC.org Forum Index -> Car integration All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: