InDashPC.org Forum Index InDashPC.org
In Dash Car PC forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOWTO: Volvo USB and IPD3 text
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: HOWTO: Volvo USB and IPD3 text Reply with quote

What you will need
1. Use latest firmware attached and make sure to follow update procedure: http://gromaudio.com/software.html
Make sure it mentions "Text support MDC"
2. Radio unit HU-xxx (HU-650, HU-850 are NOT supported yet)
3. Small fix to the wiring harness as explained below

Wiring harness modification

Make sure the contact is solid and use multimeter to ensure the contact.
You may also connect those pins on PCB (main board) itself but it would require opening the box.

Functionalty
Since MDC changer can only have 4 disks the functionality how to change discs has been adjusted.

MD01 will let you browse by tracks. Track number will be shown as TRKxxx

MD02 will let you browse by playlists/disks. Disk number will be shown as TRKxxx

Example: If you want to switch to playlist 10 you turn the middle knob to MD02, use |<< or >>| buttons to navigate to TRK10, then simply rotate central knob counter clockwise to MD01.

gromusb2_vol01_mdc_2.hex
 Description:
USB2 Volvo firmware with text

Download
 Filename:  gromusb2_vol01_mdc_2.hex
 Filesize:  41.61 KB
 Downloaded:  1029 Time(s)

gromipd3_vol01_mdc_1.hex
 Description:
IPD3 Volvo with text

Download
 Filename:  gromipd3_vol01_mdc_1.hex
 Filesize:  9.46 KB
 Downloaded:  920 Time(s)

jberg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: grom Reply with quote

can this only be used with ipod or with usb thumbdrive too??
ernstl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Does not work with Volvo HU-655 Reply with quote

Quote:
Text added for all HU-*** radios (except 650, 850)

The firmware with text support seems not to work with Volvo HU-655. After the update, the radio does not recognize the grom box.

After changing back to the standard firmware, everything works as before.
I connected the pins 6 and 10 inside the box.

Can someone confirm this issue?
btsam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too had the same problem.

only way i could get it to stay working was to leave the hex file on the usb

have gone back to normal firmware for now
ccosta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: V70 - Hu803 Reply with quote

Hi,

I followed the instructions and the minute I updated the firmware, the car radio (HU803) imediatly recognized it as a Minidisc Changer.
Nevertheless I turned it of and welded pins 6 to 10 (in the box) as required.
After that I reatached it into place and put an new pen, it started playing exactly as expected, except for the fact that it doesn't show the tags - it plays the folders/tracks as explained but that's it... Tags are properly writen in the mp3 files so I guess it should work, but so far no such luck... I guess I'll have to keep waiting for an improvement...

P.S. - new firmware managed 13 folders in the root and seems more tolerant regarding track names, so, for the moment I'll stat with it...
ccosta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: v70 with a HU803 Reply with quote

IT WORKS!

I suddenly recalled some key trick might be needed, so, after waching some youtube videos, I noticed one from a different brand, where the owner had to push the middle button (disc/mem) to see the tag details, so I went back to the car and did the same... Voilá!!! That did it! that simple... If only it was mentioned in the upper instructions, it would save me a few hours of frustration...
it's not the most practicle system, cause every time you press a button it'l go back to track no, making you press the key again to see the tags, but it works. Also, couldn't find a way to see the folders name, which is kind of boring... but, hey... I HAVE TAGS!!
ccosta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: After a week... Reply with quote

Hi all,

It's been a week since I upgraded my firmware. All is working and I still have tags, so I decided to go a step further and make my suggestions for future development:

1- make the folders name visible when you go to folder mode (MD2). It would really help to know what is what...

2- keep tags still for a few secs after scrolling.

3- allow tags to stay on when you go to the next music (instead of passing to track number everytime you do anything but increasing/decrising volume). when in tag mode it should stay there...

3- increase compability issues (still have a bunch of problems with some folders/files that aren't recognized)

4- allow random mode to read all the folders instead of just the one active.

5- keep working on these upgrades...

A big THANK YOU to all who made this work... it makes all the difference!
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me reply to those comments:
1. Yes it can be done. We'll have this added
2, 3. There is no way as stereo decides how and when show tags
3. Please read FAQ on how to organize data: http://gromaudio.com/support/usb-faq.html
4. It might be challenging. HU stereo has no different random modes like: playlist or whole stick. You may have many folders under playlist, so Random will mix them up. Check FAQ for hints
ccosta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Hu803 observations Reply with quote

Hi again,

Noticed a few issues and have a few doubts, so I take the chance to post them here.

First, with this new version I'm having some trouble to change from usb to aux/ipod, most of the times, when I try to change it now, using the same method as with the earlier version, nothing happens.

Second, it seems to be limited to 20 folders in the main root. Although I can change to folder 21 or more, it goes back to the first folder.

Third, some folders, although recognized its number (I numbered them as suggested) are still unreadable despite that I changed their names and numbered the files as in the tips and even tried convert them to 192/128kbs constant bitrate in mp3 stereo... can't understand why these albums aren't recognized... read all the tips available in the faqs and I'm pretty sure I made everything I could to make them readable.

Also have some issues with the random mode. It sometimes freezes. When I turn it off the selected music (by the random option) begins with no problems and plays all the way... Again, it's not a permenent fault. Just occasional, on big folders (40 files or so), I guess.

Last, in reply to the "no way" thing, I (don't ask me how) once or twice managed to change from usb to ipod/aux and it showed immediately the name (usb/ipod/aux) while changing without having to press the tag button... can't you use the same method to make the real tags appear when I change from one music to the next without pressing the "tag button"?

Thanks once more for your help and concern.

Carlos.
ccosta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: No updates yet? Reply with quote

Hi again,

It's been a while since anyone posted here and so far, no updates came up either.
I myself only found out about this upgrade by pure luck and am quite glad with it, despite the bugs I hope will soon be solved.
This is not perfect and has still a long way to get there, but I wouldn't change my radio for any other, as it is. Its powerful amplifiers have an excellent sound output with great quality and worth to keep. this may not be the most practical system to read mp3, but it pretty close and if the bugs are solved and some minor issues are corrected, it'll be fantastic.
Just hope, that as I don't give up on it, neither do the engineers that work on these adapters, cause we on this side are depending on them to make it work... That said, when will an update come out??? Wink

Please correct these bugs and update the instructions manual, so we don't have to find out how things work blindly.
I'm sure most of us handle it easily, but some (as I) had to look for hours to find out something as simple as pressing a button to check the tags...

P.S.- after checking all the faqs the dumb me still didn't find out how to create and work with playlists with the grom, nor how to make some of my files readable... Please enlight us.
V40-Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

first a happy new year from Germany! Very Happy

I found the version 3 on the website without the note for the HU-650/850 - so i testet it on my HU-650 - it does not work!
Both versions, normal and text, are from Dec-15, 11. The normal version works fine. With the test version, the HU-Unit does not discover any device on the bus. No cd-changer, no md-changer. I conected the pins 6 and 10 on the connector plug on the PCB. My HU-650 is one of the later Modells from 2007 with the AUX-Input.
I hope these infos will help for further developing.

Greetings from Germany

Thomas

PS: i'm sorry about my english - but have fun Wink
ccosta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Version 3 not working? Reply with quote

Hi,

First, let me whish you all a great 2012.

Second, I got V40-Tom message about a new version and decided to try it.

Tried several times and it stopped reading my mp3 pen I was listening before with Version 2 (I have a Hu-803).

It actually made a funny noise as if I was using a usb disk and was facing low power. Still it managed to change from usb to ipod and aux (didn't test it though).

Decided to go back to version 2 and all went back to normal, playing my mp3 pen.

I'm guesssing it is a firmware problem, but would like to know if others have try it and what were your results.

All the best,

Carlos.
human403

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: No folder names Reply with quote

After modifying the cable, and installing version 3 of the software, I do see tags now, but only if I push the middle button, as forum member ccosta describes: once for the cd title, twice for the song title.

However, I can't see the folder names. Actually, I am not interested in the mp3 tags: it's the folder names that I wanted, because I don't want to have to remember which music is in which folder. Generally speaking, I recognize the music when I hear it and don't need to see the title.....

Does the current version of the MD software support showing these folder names or not? If not, I can just as well go back to Cd-changer emulation as this had a much smoother way of navigating through the folders.
ccosta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: folders names missing Reply with quote

Hi,

I managed to install version 3 after a correction made in the firmware (it had a conflit with my usb pen, that was promptly sorted thanks to gromaudio prompt reply).

As you, human403, I too miss the folder name and have spoken here about it. Nevertheless, I don't miss the cdchanger system of navigation at all. with the mdchanger system it is faster and easier to change folders... The problem is for you to get used to it after using the old method for a while.

I've spoke to gromaudio tech support about it and they told me folder names would be condidered in the next firmware... Let's just hope it doesn't take too long.
human403

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I will install the cd-emulation version to see if you're right. Actually, I think I have forgotten how it worked, as I mainly used the aux input at that stage. But that caused some noise and - I used to connect my smartphone - it is not very safe to navigate on a touchscreen while driving...

I thought of a better way to browse through the folders. I think I'd prefer the following:

- turn the middle know > browse through songs ('song mode')
- press the middle knob > activate 'folder mode' (md02)
- turn the middle in folder mode > browse through folders
- press the middle knob again> activate song mode (md01) (and start playing songs in the selected folder)

In folder mode, if the user does not do anything for let's say 5 seconds, go back to song mode.

I wonder if that is possible. I have no idea what you can be done when emulating a MD player.

Currently, pressing the middle knob shows the mp3 tags, so I assume if my suggestion is followed, that functionality must be assigned to other buttons.

I think I read on the GROM site that you can change the function of the radio equipment by editing a configuration file. I would love it if I could
change the operation of the buttons of my radio, even if the default would still be the solution you provide now. But I realize it is probably not that easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    InDashPC.org Forum Index -> Car integration All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: