InDashPC.org Forum Index InDashPC.org
In Dash Car PC forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering GROM-USB for BMW E46

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Considering GROM-USB for BMW E46 Reply with quote

I just bought an E46 (2003 M3 coupe with nav) and, not being of the iPod persuasion, I would love to install a GROM-USB. But first I have a few questions.

1. Does my car have DSP? The compatibility grid for the DICE unit indicates no, but the GROM compatibility grid is not so detailed. Further complicating the issue is that my dealer said that my car does have it. I'm guessing I'll have to tear the trunk apart to find out for sure. When I do, the DSP connector is a coax type connector with a purple piece of plastic on it, correct?

2. If my car has DSP, is there an adapter? I see jbors said one was in the works, but that was a couple years ago. If not, is it possible to use the DICE DSP adapter, and can it be ordered separately from the DICE iPod?

3. I have read the thread "USB Adapter issues" and I'm worried. I see complaints about functionality on the E46, and even causing the alarm to go off. I also see customers used as testers and no response to requests for firmware source (I also am a coder). I'd hate to have to sink all the time into installing the unit just to rip it back out to return it. What firmware improvements have been made for the E46 recently? Is it stable? Are the sources available yet?

Thanks!
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes first check the trunk cable if you see round coax plug your stere is DSP.
If DSP is there we do not have anything for it.
As of complains, we experience issues on some cars rarely. They rather sporadic and very difficult to identify the root cause since it is very rare and specific to a certain car.
tdm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: So far so good Reply with quote

I peeked at the cables and no sign of anything coax looking at all -- just a 3 pin and a 6 pin connector neatly wrapped in a cloth. So the car should be compatible.

What about the firmware questions?

I would feel much more comfortable ordering the device if I could build my own firmware (coding firmware is what I do for a living, loosely speaking). I don't care about source for the licensed libraries such as the media decoders, of course. I'm interested in the control code for the i-bus, button mappings, etc.
tdm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: DSP adapter here Reply with quote

Here the DSP adapter for the DICE unit, sold separately. I shouldn't need it, but perhaps this will help others...

Go to europeanautosource dot com, enter "dsp" in the "quick find" search box. The DSP kit for the DICE unit should show up.

Sorry for not linking this, anti-spam measures in this forum are disallowing it. Rolling Eyes
tdm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: So far so good Reply with quote

Can someone from grom please answer the question regarding firmware sources?

tdm wrote:
I peeked at the cables and no sign of anything coax looking at all -- just a 3 pin and a 6 pin connector neatly wrapped in a cloth. So the car should be compatible.

What about the firmware questions?

I would feel much more comfortable ordering the device if I could build my own firmware (coding firmware is what I do for a living, loosely speaking). I don't care about source for the licensed libraries such as the media decoders, of course. I'm interested in the control code for the i-bus, button mappings, etc.
tdm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: So far so good Reply with quote

I had somewhat expected an answer along the lines of "sorry, we can't do that because we have licensing agreements with other companies" or even "sorry, we can't take the customer service hit for folks wanting help when they brick their adapters". If my question does not even merit a reply, I will certainly not be buying any adapters.

Given the choice between companies that all have closed source firmware, who are all trying to reverse engineer a proprietary automobile bus protocol, it is most prudent to go with the one that's been around the longest and has the biggest market share. That's not grom.

What a shame, it looks like a really cool product and I didn't want to buy an ipod just to toss it in the glovebox for months on end. Sad

tdm wrote:
Can someone from grom please answer the question regarding firmware sources?

jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly you can choose whatever product is up to your specs.
I cannot guarantee compatibility with DICE DSP converter even though I do not see any reason why it won't work.
GROM has 30 days return policy so you lose nothing just trying it out...
eml

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, e46s didn't come with DSP. in any case, if you have a CD changer at the back (or at least the wiring), as suggested, you can check what type of wiring you have. i would expect that your CD changer would have 2 square/block connections -- a 6 pin and a 3-pin one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    InDashPC.org Forum Index -> Car integration All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: