InDashPC.org Forum Index InDashPC.org
In Dash Car PC forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mazda 6 text display

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Mazda 6 text display Reply with quote

I am an owner of Car2PC adapter and I know that your products cannot display text on Mazda 6 headunits because they use the CD changer port, whereas the only way to feed text is when using tape/MD or sirius port.

I was wondering what would it take to develop an interface that could display text on the stock LCD display?
Do you have a pinout of tape/sirius ports? Also what protocol is used to stream text data and playback commands? What needs to be done for the headunit to recognize that an external interface is connected?
Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is your stereo ? Does it have Media button ?
fireboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 2006 (Mazdaspeed 6), has both media and SAT buttons and as far as I know both MD modules and Sirius modules are capable of providing text, right?
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, SAT is capable, but MEDIA also capable. We will use this button in the next version of the device to provide more functionality. Check back by end of the month for the new module.
fireboy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news. Is this going to be a Car2PC integration module or an iPod interface? The functionality I am looking for is to be able to provide custom text from my car PC not related to the music. The headunit display is conveniently located and I would like to use it to show warning text about speed cams, etc. I do have a 7" touchscreen above it, but the LCD display is much more readable and attracts attention.
Any ideas about the pricing and upgrade options for existing customers?
Louk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireboy wrote:
Great news. Is this going to be a Car2PC integration module or an iPod interface? The functionality I am looking for is to be able to provide custom text from my car PC not related to the music. The headunit display is conveniently located and I would like to use it to show warning text about speed cams, etc. I do have a 7" touchscreen above it, but the LCD display is much more readable and attracts attention.
Any ideas about the pricing and upgrade options for existing customers?

Hi,

Any news about this item (more functionality and ability to put text on the Mazda's HU display)?

Note: I'm a Centrafuse beta tester, developing the Car2PC plugin for Centrafuse V3.0 / V3.1. Almost finished (first public beta will be released very soon now).
Louk

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting...

In the case you change this in future releases of the device, will the old devices be upgradeable, by means of a firmware upgrade? If so, is it possible to flash the Car2PC unit, or is a replacement of the micro controller required?

You would make me (and many other Mazda (and Honda?) drivers) very happy to make it possible to display texts on the Mazda head unit display.

In the mean while I finished the first public release of the Car2PC plug-in for Centrafuse V3 and up. I get a lot of very positive comments which means there that there is a need for this (interaction between the car's head unit and the carPC!

But I only started this project to be able to write all kind of information to the car's display, starting with something like "Hello Louk, have a nice day": Not very useful, but it is so nice the start the day with ... Wink

Louk.
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tried to use Media button on 06-08 Mazdas and found out that they won't work. So I guess no mEDIA WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR THESE YEARS.
Louk

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbors wrote:
We tried to use Media button on 06-08 Mazdas and found out that they won't work. So I guess no mEDIA WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR THESE YEARS.

That's quite a disapointment to hear Sad.

But I wonder why; maybe the HU needs some secret key sequence to enable it, like the hidden feature needed to enable the trip computer on certain Mazda 3 models.

If you like, I'm willing to help figuring this out. However it would help if I don't need to start from scratch.

Louk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    InDashPC.org Forum Index -> Car integration All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: