InDashPC.org Forum Index InDashPC.org
In Dash Car PC forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Car2PC for Mazda strange behaviour

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yura80

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Car2PC for Mazda strange behaviour Reply with quote

I've recently bought CAR2PC-MAZ adapter and successfully installed it.
My car is Mazda6 2008 for US market, and HU model is CQ-EM4561AK.

I've noticed some issues when using Winamp and changing tracks with HU controls. I works fine in normal playback mode when tracks are switched sequentially.
But when shuffle is enabled and I press NextTrack button on HU and Winamp switches to next random track (for example, from track 1 to track 5) it fails to update track number on HU display, and starts switching to other tracks again, sometimes skips 1-2 more tracks or returns to previous track.
This does not happen if I change tracks from PC without using HU buttons: track number on display updates instantly and everything is fine.

I've build winamp plugin from source and used VC++ debugger to see what exactly is causing the problem. The problem seem to be not in the plugin, but in Car2PC device. It can be described as following:

When TRxxx command is sent to device within ~8 seconds after NT or PT had been received, and track number sent is not equal to currently displayed, then:
- the track number on display will not be changed
- device sends NT/PT command to PC again.

It can be easily reproduced with console: just send TRxxx command immediately after receiving NT/PT and see what happens.

I've made a workaround by modifying the winamp plugin so that it delays sending TRxxx command for 8 sec. after NT/PT command is received, and now it works fine in shuffle mode. But it would be great if it can be fixed with a firmware update.

Last edited by Yura80 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Yura80

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also having some problems already described by dwmw2a:
Quote:
I don't know how to tell the head unit how many tracks there are on the disc. If I press 'previous track' when it's on track 1, it wraps round to 99 (before the software sends an update telling it the _real_ track number). And if I use the 'next' track button (or spin the tuning knob), it'll keep going past the end of the track list. But when I'm using the _real_ internal CD changer, it does the right thing.
Quote:
Finally, is there an up to date list of commands supported by the current Car2PC firmware? The ones on this forum all seem to be slightly out of date, and even the libusbhu.h in CVS seems not to contain everything (and doesn't contain any documentation on the commands it does list). I couldn't find it on the CD which came with the Car2PC, which was disappointing.
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mazda stereo is pretty old protocol and behaves weird.
If in the MIX mode you press NEXT/PREV track or any other button, MIX will be disabled. So I'm not sure how did you manage to keep it ?
Yura80

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbors wrote:
Mazda stereo is pretty old protocol and behaves weird.
If in the MIX mode you press NEXT/PREV track or any other button, MIX will be disabled. So I'm not sure how did you manage to keep it ?

Obviously, by pressing "shuffle" button on the Winamp/RoadRunner GUI Smile

Also, if I enable repeat mode and skip over the end of playlist by NT button, it will not wrap around to the first track (this is intentionally disabled in plugin source). But if I press PT after that, it will skip to track number 3 or 4.

I believe that this 6-8 seconds track number update delay is implemented not in Mazda stereo but in Car2PC. Instead of displaying the new number on screen, it tries to "catch up" with the currently displayed number by sending extra NT/PT commands. Can it be disabled in firmware?

Actually, the root of all problems is that Car2PC immediately reports new track nubmer to the stereo after receiving NT/PT command without waiting for track number command from PC.
ShellDude

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get by with a 1000ms pause ... that's always worked for me in my RX8 w/ mazda firmware 9.55

really annoying how the HU disables repeat and random when press any other buttons...

and I wish there was a way to READ the track time... at least then we could intercept PT a bit more reliably.... such as if track time == 0000 and we weren't the one to set it to 0000 then restart current track.
Louk

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShellDude wrote:
you can get by with a 1000ms pause ... that's always worked for me in my RX8 w/ mazda firmware 9.55

really annoying how the HU disables repeat and random when press any other buttons...

and I wish there was a way to READ the track time... at least then we could intercept PT a bit more reliably.... such as if track time == 0000 and we weren't the one to set it to 0000 then restart current track.

What do you mean by a 1000 ms pause (a pause of what)?

I had the same problems while developing the Car2PC plug-in for Centrafuse V3. I needed to hold up all display updates for at least 6 seconds to avoid the HU to send the PT or NT command again.

Even when you fake it (sending the expected track number and then the real track number), the head unit resends the command.

I also think that it is more obvious that not the Car2PC module is causing this, but the car's HU.

I wish I could trace the slow CAN bus to see what is happening. Is someone else capable of monitoring the CAN bus?

Louk.
ShellDude

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by 1000ms, I meant to just wait 1 second before sending the new track number after setting the disc. If you do it too quickly it'll just ignore you.

A couple weeks ago I was messing with mine (I've had it for a couple years now) with the ftdi console app (non serial mode) and noticed that in that mode I receive the PT the first time you hit the button.... but in VCP (serial) mode you have to hit it twice... this tells me for certain the problem is anywhere other than the HU itself.

Something else I've noticed... possibly HU related... is A LOT of times if a CD is in my HU upon startup it refuses to go into EX mode. I sometimes have to cut my ignition 2-3 times to get it to recognize EX. It dawned on me a couple weeks back to take the CD out of head unit (you'd think I'd have tried this sooner) and it hasn't failed to go into EX mode since.
Louk

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShellDude wrote:
by 1000ms, I meant to just wait 1 second before sending the new track number after setting the disc. If you do it too quickly it'll just ignore you.

A couple weeks ago I was messing with mine (I've had it for a couple years now) with the ftdi console app (non serial mode) and noticed that in that mode I receive the PT the first time you hit the button.... but in VCP (serial) mode you have to hit it twice... this tells me for certain the problem is anywhere other than the HU itself.

Something else I've noticed... possibly HU related... is A LOT of times if a CD is in my HU upon startup it refuses to go into EX mode. I sometimes have to cut my ignition 2-3 times to get it to recognize EX. It dawned on me a couple weeks back to take the CD out of head unit (you'd think I'd have tried this sooner) and it hasn't failed to go into EX mode since.

Thanks for the explanation, but 1 second is not enough in my case: Needs to be at least 6 seconds.

Hey, that was a very interesting test (it took me a while to understand where you where talking about, but OK, it is late here Wink)! This is exact the problem I've been wrestling with too for some time now. I always thought it was the Car2PC unit not passing at track position command. But this proves that it seems to be the serial driver! Strange however, because I thought the only thing the serial driver did was passing data from an USB port to a serial port and visa versa.

Lets try to find this FTDI console and see if it gives my extra information (compared to the GROM tool I used to monitor).

And about th CD in the drive: I always have a CD in the drive and never had problems like you describe. I think it is more likely that you have a contact problem. You can only select the EXT mode when the HU detects hardware on the CD changer port. Maybe the vibrations caused by the removing of the CD (temporary) solved the problem.

Louk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    InDashPC.org Forum Index -> Car integration All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: