InDashPC.org Forum Index InDashPC.org
In Dash Car PC forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Python Podcasting in Django

Post new topic   Reply to topic    InDashPC.org Forum Index -> Software -> PyMedia Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HangingClowns

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Python Podcasting in Django Reply with quote

I am interested in extended a current Django run administrative page to include podcasting support. I want to be able to have users upload videos that will be able to stream out. If I have to limit the uploads to a certain filetype, then that will be no problem. I want to be able to have the ability to resize the video, if possible, and to be able to pull out meta data that's embedded into the file, such as artist, title, etc...

I was mainly interested in almost transforming the preexisting PHP version of LoudBlog into Python-Django format for the administrative page.

I have googled for many man hours and I think that PyMedia might be a good way to go at this or maybe even FFmpeg (which PyMedia extends, I believe). I was wondering if anyone has a background or can offer advice/assistance in helping me to achieve this.
Donny Viszneki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PyMedia seems to be showing its age. *Years* ago I reported problems with the latest builds (which don't seem to have changed since then) and got no response. I believe I also reported a source bug that didn't get looked at either.

At any rate, Python has gobject bindings for GStreamer, and I highly recommend checking it out.

HangingClowns

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: If only... Reply with quote

If only my topic was replied to at around the time I asked for it, your information might have been useful (nothing against you, Donny Viszneki). We're already switching over to something else, now. But, I will, none-the-less, look into what you said, for future knowledge. Laughing
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As all my project involving pymedia dried out I had no time to work things out lately.
GStreamer may be good idea but form my experience GStreamer is a resource hog due to its architecture.
So I would go along with custom command line builds which use mplayer/ffmpeg.
Donny Viszneki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbors wrote:
So I would go along with custom command line builds which use mplayer/ffmpeg.

What are "custom command line builds?"

jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you build C app which encapsulate needed functionality from ffmpeg/mplayer/vlc and make its command line interface easy to reuse.
Then use it from Python the same way as freevo or similar media apps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    InDashPC.org Forum Index -> Software -> PyMedia Tutorials All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: