InDashPC.org Forum Index InDashPC.org
In Dash Car PC forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ide-CF adapter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
browncf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Ide-CF adapter Reply with quote

Is it possible to use an ide to compact flash adapter like this http://www.acscontrol.com/Index_ACS.asp?Page=/Pages/Products/CompactFlash/IDE_To_CF_Adapter.htm with this system? I am curious because I am convinced of the importance of the os being on flash memory, but would like more than 512 disk on chip (1gb disk on chip is too expensive). CF cards are dirt cheap.
barb3tta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ide-CF adapter Reply with quote

browncf wrote:
Is it possible to use an ide to compact flash adapter like this http://www.acscontrol.com/Index_ACS.asp?Page=/Pages/Products/CompactFlash/IDE_To_CF_Adapter.htm with this system? I am curious because I am convinced of the importance of the os being on flash memory, but would like more than 512 disk on chip (1gb disk on chip is too expensive). CF cards are dirt cheap.

cf cards aren't suitable for frequent write cycles... so I'ts not the same as use a DOC or an HD... Too many writes will destroy your card!
You can use CF with the adapter only if you make a readonly filesystem.
bye
peterg-p8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsung announced on 23 May 2005 they've completed and successfully tested a 16GB flash disk which is a 2.5inch IDE disk replacement (same footprint and connector).

It reads at 57 MegaBytes per second (MBps) and writes it at 32MBps.

My experience is that Samsung go commercial within 3 months of advertising a successful build and test. I'd estimate a commercial launch around August 2005.

I found the details here:
http://www.physorg.com/news4220.html
[/url]
eagleliu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: CF CARD WILL BE INSTEAD OF HARD DISK Reply with quote

The compact flash ide adapter is aimed at educational sectors, IT development,
and the embedded technology enthusiast to enable the use of a compact flash (cf)
card as an IDE hard drive.

The compactflash card specification is fully IDE compatible which allows them to
be used as hard drive replacements for embedded applications.

CF disks offer the benefit of low power consumption, no acoustic noise, cost efficient
and fast read access time.Ideal uses include routers, firewalls and diskless network clients.
I find one professional manufacturer in China which can provide good quality and low cost to
customer .You logo on www.sinech.cn to find you interest .[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
custommx3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spamming.. bah!
CF to IDE adapters are too slow.
dupa2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too slow? I wouldn't say so. At least not my 120X CF card Smile

I'm using it and I'd say I don't really see difference in performance against reg hard drive. I limit writes to it by using tmpfs in ram for /var/tmp /var/log /var/run, and also mount it with noatime attribute. Actually I had absolutely no problems since I installed it. My hard drive froze one morning, and I lost all the data from it, that's why I switched to CF.
________
ZX14 VS HAYABUSA

Last edited by dupa2 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. I'm thinking on changing HDD in my laptop to CFII.
Something like 16GB or so. Will see...
easyadapter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ide-CF adapter Reply with quote

browncf wrote:
Is it possible to use an ide to compact flash adapter like this with this system? I am curious because I am convinced of the importance of the os being on flash memory, but would like more than 512 disk on chip (1gb disk on chip is too expensive). CF cards are dirt cheap.

that is right , 1gd cf card is aslo cheap ,just cost usd 8.

making data communicate easy
http://www.soarland.com/
custommx3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

using the same exact configuration as in my HD, no swap file, it takes 5x longer to boot on my Microdrive than my HD.
jbors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a problem in the bus.
When I used IDE-FLASH the boot time was around 2x faster for Linux and Windows. I did use DMA of course...
tultStina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Ide CF adapter Reply with quote

I have a WD 80 gig Sata drive. The type that uses an Sata adapter.
My question is. Do I have to use the adapter and run as a Sata, or can I hook it up with regular IDE cables and have it work?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    InDashPC.org Forum Index -> Components All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: